Going on a cruise is a wonderful way to take …
Location: South America
Area: 256 370 km2
Population: 17 715 822
Official languages: Spanish
Other spoken languages: Kichwa (Quechua), Shuar, and other local minority languages
Ethnic groups: Mestizo, local indigenuous minorities
Currency: United States Dolar (USD)
Basic facts: Unitary Presidential Republic (including continental Ecuador and Galapagos Islands)
- Ecuador consists of four geographical zones: coastal plains, the Andes, Amazon plain, and Galapagos Islands, deep in the Pacific.
- Ecuador is located around the Equator, and its capital Quito is the closest to the Equator capital in the world.
- Although Ecuador is an equatorial country, it features arctic type of climate in the highest places of the Andes. Here is the Equator’s highest spot.
- Galapagos Islands present some of the richest and most unique ecosystem on the Earth.
- Ecuador is a Catholic country, but also present rich heritage of local Native American cultures.
10 best destinations and routes in Ecuador:
Quito: The capital of Ecuador, located at 2850 m altitude, with the best-preserved historic center in Latin America.
Cuenca: The third largest city in Ecuador, a beauiful colonial city, today a UNESCO World Heritage Trust site.
Baños and Tungurahua Volcano: An adventurous city at the foot of the active Tungurahua Volcano, with a lot of hot springs.
Manta: The largest coastal city in Ecuador and the fourth largest in the country, the best starting point for exploring the Pacific coast.
Mount Chimborazo: The highest point in Ecuador, a currently inactive volcano. This is the farthest point from the center of the Earth.
Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve: A protected area in the Amazon plain, the best place to observe the Amazonian Rainforest.
Guayaquil: The largest city in Ecuador, located at the Gulf of Guayaquil, a popular tourist destination with vibrant local life.
Podocarpus National Park: A protected area in the southernmost part of Ecuador, best presenting the rainforests and wildlife of the Andes.
Montañita: A coastal resort and area, well-known as the surfing capital of Ecuador. Here you can enjoy also some of the best beaches in the country.
Galapagos Islands: An isolated archipelago in the Eastern Pacific, at about 1000 km far from the continental Ecuador, well-known for its unique ecosystem and wildlife.