Many of us are longing for a “paradise on Earth”. …
Location: Southeast Asia
Area: 1 904 569 km2
Population: 270 203 917
Official languages: Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia)
Other spoken languages: more than 700 local languages, most prominent- Javanese, Sundanese, Malay, Batak, Minangkabau, Madurese, Buginese, Ambon, Papua languages and more; foreign languages: English, Dutch
Ethnic groups: Javanese, Sundanese, Malay, Batak, Betawi, Minangkabau, Buginese, Balinese and more Austronesian peoples, Melanesians
Currency: IDR (Indonesian Rupiah) (1 USD = 14,342.35 IDR; 1 EUR = 15,877.70 IDR)
Basic facts: Unitary presidential republic, part of ASEAN.
1. Indonesia is the largest island country in the world, established on the largest archipelago on Earth.
2. Indonesia is located on both sides of the Equator, so the climate and geographical zone is mainly equatorial, with equatorial rainforests and warm seas with rich marine wildlife.
3. Indonesia is located on the “Ring of Fire”, between the Pacific and the Indian oceans, with about 400 volcanoes. 130 of them are active.
4. Indonesia is the culturaly most diverse country in the world, with more than 700 local ethnic groups and languages. Its motto is “Unity in Diversity”.
5. Indonesia is famous for Bali Island. Bali is prominent for its culture and tourism, but there are many more unique islands, although not so popular, like Sumatra, Java, Nias, Lombok, Komodo, Sulawesi, Kalimantan, Maluku Islands, Raja Ampat, Papua and more.
10 best destinations in Indonesia:
- Jakarta: The capital and the largest city in Indonesia, presenting the most essential of the Indonesian life and culture.
- The rest of Java Island: The most populated island in Indonesia, with some famous cities and points of interest like Surabaya, Yogyakarta, Bandung, the volcanoes Krakatoa, Merapi, Bromo, Semeru, the historical site Borobodur, and many more.
- Bali Island: The most popular island in Indonesia, presenting unique local culture, stunning beaches, surfing sites, forests, and other natural and cultural places of interest.
- Komodo Island and the rest of Nusa Tenggara: Nusa Tenggara is the island chain east of Java Island. Besides Bali, it also includes Lombok, Sumba, Sumbawa, Flores, Timor, and many other smaller islands. One of them- Komodo is famous for the giant Komodo Dragon.
- Sumatra: The westernmost big island in Indonesia, famous for its wild jungles and rugged mountains, with places of interest like Padang, Medan, Palembang, Aceh, Mount Kerinci, Lake Toba, and many more.
- Kalimantan: The third largest island on the Earth, divided between Malaysia and Indonesia, known for its equatorial rainforests
- Sulawesi: One of the large islands in Indonesia with weird shape, including the cities of Makassar, Gorontalo, and Manado, as well as wild equatorial rainforests and unique local cultures.
- Maluku (Moluccas): An archipelago in the eastern part of Indonesia, including the islands of Ambon, Halmahera, and many other smaller islands and islets, most of them unknown for the mass tourism.
- Raja Ampat: A stunningly beautiful archipelago, located between Maluku and the big island of Papua, famous for its fantastic diving spots.
- West Papua: Papua is the second largest island on the Earth, divided between Indonesia and Papua New Guinea, known for its almost inaccessible equatorial rainforests, and local Papuan culture.